free up space on a Pi Zer0

Whilst suffering from man-flu over this initial New Year period, I decided that I could not handle the perpetual boredom of illness.  Without the missus knowing, I snuck a Pi Zer0 into the bedroom and being very small, she didn't notice it plugged in on the bedside table......
I had previously setup this device back in May 2016, but hadn't found a reasonable use for it, it had an 8Gb microSD card in it and a WiFi dongle attached.  It was connected to the network in moments.

Using my trusty sshclient from my Amazon Fire Tablet (the "proper Mac laptop" being banned, as I was "ill" and that would tempt me to be doing work/work stuff), I ssh'd into the Pi Zer0.
First thing I noticed was that it only had 2.2Gb free!!! WTF?!?! This was a default install.  How do I claim some of that space back?  It turns out that this is the norm.

After a quick check, I did indeed have a lot of the bloatware installed - time to get rid of it:
>sudo apt-get purge wolfram-engine

>sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice*
>sudo apt-get purge minecraft-pi
>sudo apt-get purge scratch
>sudo apt-get purge sonic-pi
>sudo apt-get purge gpicview
>sudo apt-get purge penguinspuzzle
>sudo apt-get clean
>sudo apt-get autoremove


pi@raspzero:/opt $ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       6.1G  2.1G  3.8G  36% /
devtmpfs        237M     0  237M   0% /dev
tmpfs           242M     0  242M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           242M  8.4M  233M   4% /run
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           242M     0  242M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p6   63M   21M   43M  33% /boot
tmpfs            49M     0   49M   0% /run/user/1000

pi@raspzero:/opt $ 

After that, I now have a total of 3.8Gb of free space.  Wow, what a difference.

Now, time to set it up as a TOR proxy......why? well, why not.... I've got the time and only tissues, sudafed & cough medicine to keep me company...

Comments