Thursday, 26 January 2017

Fitting a replacement UMD drive for a PSP 2003

On my retro-month journey, as I mentioned previously, I found a drawer with a broken PSP 1000, a working PSP 1003 and a couple of games.

I purchased a new PSU for the PSP 1003 device and a new higher capacity battery, when they arrived, I juiced them up and the PSP 1003 fire up and worked a treat.  I even managed to get it connected to the WiFi (albeit to the "guest network" as it needs to have security turned off).
I downloaded the latest firmware, rebooted and it works great.

Then, whilst wandering through town over the weekend, I noticed a couple of PSP 2003 devices in one of those cash convertor shop windows.  Whilst the missus was in the "knitting shop", I popped in asked to have a look.  Naturally, it had no PSU and no UMDs to test it.  For £15 I thought I'd take a gamble.... it looked to be in relatively good condition, no damage anywhere and the screen and buttons all felt pretty non-abused.

I got home, plugged in the PSU and charged up the battery.  It booted up, things were looking good.  I put a UMD in....it didn't make any whirring noises (as it should) and then reported it couldn't read the disc.  I tried a few more.  Then the reality sunk in.  The UMD drive was broken.



No comments:

Post a Comment