Not so Standard, Standard Vanguard that I keep forgetting about

As I am someone who cannot keep his brain focused for very long, I tend to wander off and do "engineering" distractions, whether that be writing code to do something useful, or not, or making some random old piece of software or hardware do things it shouldn't be doing, or even just doing something super simple, or deciding to undertake remodelling a garden to have a canal within in (and then putting it all back as it was after 6 months as I changed my mind), or deciding to make drones from scratch and then taking that technology and deciding to make autonomous robots, which then takes up loads of time figuring out how to get micro-controllers to work and sensors and actuators, then getting distracted by needing to setup solar panels to keep pond water pumps working 24/7 to keep the pond koi carp alive - you get the idea. Beyond doing the "day job", I tend to consume myself with doing too many side-projects that are great fun, very enjoyable-ish and are all technical challenges in their own right.


Well.....I sometimes forget to take a wander into the double-length garage connected to the house and tinker with my 1959 Austin A35 - that is totally, well, okay, "nearly" standard, out of the factory-ish, all I've done is some very minor modifications, such as a 4" suspension lowering all round and some very minor and period correct water/thermostat housing changes and added a rev. counter, apart from that, all totally as it was from 1959.

However, sitting next to that car is a 1954 Standard Vanguard that has had a "few" more modifications:


Get a copy of the magazine - it's a 10-page article, including a double/double spread and center-fold.


VALLEY GAS


I really should fire it up over the next few weeks, it's been sitting in the garage for 2-3 months now without moving or seeing daylight, my excuse has been the weather, if it wasn't freezing, snowing or raining, then it was nighttime, so hopefully in April, May and definitely in June (as it's off to a show on the 4th!) I must remember to get her out, clear the carburettor lungs out and put that smile back on my face - as she is a real pleasure to drive.

And yes, it was 10-12 years of "tinkering" between the professionals at Valley Gas, David at Classic Car Management and occasionally myself, if/when I had the time, that took the car design ideas and made them into a reality.  If only I had the £ millions and Stark as a surname, things could have been so different :-D

Comments