chatGPT from DOS...yes, DOS...

Whilst I refuse to sign-up for an API key for chatGPT, you might want to if you want to repeat this example.  Why am I not getting an API key?  'cos I'm building my own offline version (that I'll document and share with everyone soon!) - I could easily then plug this DOS client into my version.  sweet.


CHECK OUT THE ARTICLE HERE

Until then... enjoy and be amazed at the fact you can still do things with old software & hardware that relate to "new" things.  Here we have a Generative AI being accessed from DOS


and if you fancy replicating it yourself, it's just some C code, after-all.. then 

CHECKOUT THE GITHUB REPO HERE

I have used the MTCP packet-driver for DOS on many of my early 1990s hardware allowing it to connect to WiFi (WEP access only though) and access the internet, so this isn't something "too different" - after all, calling chatGPT is just calling a REST API.

However, the "difficult part" is calling the REST API with HTTP(S) with the old hardware, that is where it falls down as it is too intensive to process - in the past I, and others, have used proxy machines in the middle, funny enough, even used haproxy a few times to do this and even some tunnelling software when I connected an Atari ST to the internet to get my Gmail emails!

Just recently I purchased a FujiNet device that allows me to connect my Atari 800 XL to the network/WiFi and subsequently to the internet - I set that up previously to connect to a Node-Red flow that connected to the internet, called a REST API for an RSS feed, got the XML response, parsed it and returned the text output to the Atari 800 XL to output to the screen - could have done something fancy with it, but was saving that for later (later maybe coming sooner that expected as I'm now doing more C coding for the Atari)

So, my plan is to split the coding up, just use the Atari C code to invoke the networking of the FujiNet, make a request to Node-Red (that can be running on pretty much anything - will probably stick it on one of the many spare Raspberry Pi devices [doesn't have to be a 4, could even be a 1!], so long as it has WiFi access), then get the Node-Red flow to do all the work and then return the formatted response back out to the Atari for rendering however I want to make it look on the screen.  Might even get that made and put together over Easter, we'll see.

Anyway, it makes me proud to know that there are fellow geeky people out there in the world doing the same sort of thing - why?.... well, just because they can... because they appreciate the technical challenge - and I assure you writing code and getting it to work on 30-40year old machines doing things they were never meant to do, but being useful too, is VERY rewarding.

I tip my hat to you Sir, keep up the good work ;-)



Comments