Open Source NASA JPL mars rover

Having a little bit of an internet wander over lunch, whilst at a customer site in London, I stumbled over this great resource.  Obviously, it raised an eyebrow for me as it's the next step up from Critter-bot :-D   (I did say that I would wander off on the scope, didn't I...well, I'll finish the basic version first before venturing onto this project, I promise)

So checkout the interactive web page here that allows you to "drive" a virtual rover around:
https://opensourcerover.jpl.nasa.gov/

Then, select the 2nd [O] dot on the right-hand side and you'll see it switch from the official Rover to the one you can build!  Select the 3rd [O] dot to get to the instructions.....

Well, that'll just take you to the Github repo here:  https://github.com/nasa-jpl/open-source-rover

The really good thing about this is that they have decided to use a Raspberry Pi as the "brain".


Something we all have knocking around.  It looks like the motors are the major expense to this project, but I have a ton of HobbyKing servos that I could use instead - okay, it won't move as fast, in fact probably at a snails pace, but at least it'll get the concept working and then I can upgrade if and when I want to a) spend the extra money b) get to the point where I want to enhance this to be version 1 of "GardenBot"....















These guys managed to do a lot of 3D printed parts and trimmed the parts cost from $2500 down to the $500 range.... interesting!

https://newscrewdriver.com/2018/05/09/is-sawppy-the-rover-feasible/


now, that is appealing...and they did what I just suggested, use HobbyKing servos for the wheel motors and 3D print the body structure..... hmmm, I have a week off work next week..... ;-)

Comments