Automated harvesting by agricultural robots

This is something close to my own heart and something I'd like to get more involved with in the future.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/robotics/artificial-intelligence/ai-detects-papaya-ripeness



I like the idea that the robot harvesters can use Visual Object detection and then Recognition to examine the fruit and determine if it needs picking - how it does that picking raises an eyebrow, but mixed with robotic arm and pressure sensitive 'finger' tips and some good coding it'd be feasible.

Then, in the grocery shop as a customer, you can whip out your phone, scan the fruit on the shelf and it can "highlight" which fruit will ripen when, allowing you to get the best choice of fruit to meet your needs.  ie. do I want to eat it today? actually, I want to eat 3 of these in 3 days time, which are the best 3 to select?

sounds all very cyberpunk....

Comments