Atari 800 atr reader

Whilst looking for something completely different, I stumbled over this little gem.

https://github.com/rossumur/esp_8_bit


However, if you look at the screenshot, it's not that image that took my interest... it was the .htm file in the repo.

A quick click on the file, selecting [RAW], 


copy & paste and make a local .htm file on my Desktop... then open it in a web-browser...

The little OHID letters on left-hand side actually are the menu items, O = Open File.

I opened a few .atr files that I just happened to have to hand (as you do)... and lo'and'behold, I can now see the machine code that the .atr file is made up of 


Why is that interesting?  Well, how many times have you thought, "I wonder how they coded that?" or, "I wish I could learn to do something like that".  Unfortunately, the knowledge / skill / tutorials etc.. for this type of thing just don't exist anymore.

There are not any books or online tutorial guides that will take you through how to code Atari 800 XL machine code assembler to make your own version of joust:

But if you can now get a sneek-peek at the source-code and have a fair bit of patience / time, you can figure out how the code mechanics work and port it over into your own code base.

UPDATE: okay, okay, okay...so there ARE some places you can get this information from

This isn't just restricted to games, I recently purchased a FujiNet device and for certain things, such as using the N:device you have to load up a specific .atr file to give your the TSR to allow your code to connect to the internet to call APIs.... (yes, that code is probably open-source? haven't checked) but if it is not, this approach can let you open the bonnet and see how things are working underneath - also giving the open to trim out things that you don't need for your own specific application.

So, whilst I was looking for something else, I randomly discovered this wonderful .htm page and this just might be my most favourite find of the month.


CHECK OUT the guys set of repos here: https://github.com/rossumur

he also has a BLOG site that has some very interesting items listed in more depth, although mostly linked to the repo's above.


Comments