Who remembers the Sony Playstation 1?

I do, of course...as I have my original version in the cupboard (over there), I have the smaller version that has a screen attached to it, so no need for a TV and of course I have the PSOne wallet :-)

I also have the Net Yaroze too....yep, the developer edition...(ah, I miss the days of coding games in "C" directly and not using Games Engines like Unity or UnReal)......and I have some PSPs that I actively use for playing UMDs and the odd game

I have the PSX / PPSSPP emulators running on my OpenPandora and my lubuntu linux laptop as well as a RetroPie that I built with a proper joystick....

Well, it looks like Sony has gotten all nostalgic too....and is releasing a small version for Q4:
https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/playstation-classic/

(it's amusing that my waistline has gone the opposite way in that timeline!)



It does make you wonder if it is just a Raspberry Pi inside there or whether Sony actually built their own smaller board for cheaper?

Anyway, at £90....ouch, it's a little pricey for that level of nostalgia... considering you could probably get a RPi 3+, SDCard, a couple of controllers, a 3D printed case for...oh wait, actually about the same price.

It's on my xmas list (way down the bottom, but it'll be on there)

Comments