Is it a real person? Does it really matter? Awesome Digital Human in Unreal Engine


Okay, so you may have noticed that recently, I made a 3D Avatar / Digital Human using the Unity 3D engine and connected it up to the IBM Watson SDK.

Well, straight after doing that piece of work, I thought...hmmm... I also have the Unreal Engine installed on my laptop too, I wonder if there is an IBM Watson SDK sample app that could use that engine to do what I did above...

A quick DuckDuckGo search later and yep, here is a gitHub.

A quick 50,000ft difference check is - what are you more comfortable writing your code in?
C# from Microsoft (Unity) or C/C++ (Unreal Engine)
What have you had more experience in using?

So, why am I pointing this out?  Well, I happened to stumble over a Digital Human that is created and controlled by the Unreal Engine....and well, it's pretty awesome!
My Unity / "couple of days" effort project versus this (probably) quite a few £££££ effort doesn't really compare - but what it does show is that this level of technology and effort is moving at a very fast pace!

The same backend can be used (ie. IBM Watson Services), it's just the front-end UI and interactions that can be de-coupled and "re-bolted on" as the technology advances.

See for yourself:


Here's the technology from Cubic Motion:


Here's a longer video about how advanced the Unreal Engine now is in relation to the quality of Digital Humans and interactions.....


Time to brush-up on my C/C++ skills (........like I really need to?!)

Comments