WiFi Roaming on the move

I had one of these fitted to the motorhome:

https://maxview.co.uk/product/motorhome-wifi-caravan-wifi/

Whilst I've set it all up and got it working on the driveway, yesterday was the first time of real usage... so how did it go?

"We'll let you know after this short commercial break",


It was awesomely good, to be honest.

Now, the reason it was awesome, apart from being a brilliant piece of kit, is mostly due to the SIM card fitted.  Not all SIM cards are made the same :-)

This company provide a SIM card (you can replace with your own - but why would you?) with the device and you get 5GB FREE usage as a trial:  https://broadbandgo.com/#/


I admit, I was a little skeptical and thought I'd give the free trial a go and see what it's like and then make a decision on what price plan we'll go for.

As with most people, I have no idea nowadays how much data throughput I'm using over the network - I remember the late 90s / early 2000s having apps on the desktop that showed that data, because it was important to know!  now days, no-one cares how much YouTube, Netflix or Amazon Prime use - so long as they don't buffer or de-pixelate.

I'm still debating whether to go for the £89 per year at 4GB per month or the 10GB per month for £200...

Here's why I'm pondering.

We went out in the wonderful motorhome to a little place called Caernleon in South Wales, now it did indeed pour down with rain the entire day / evening / night (after the hottest day of the year!), so we were limited in things to do, so we were in the van and had to use the WiFi router to my laptop (running Ubuntu) and firefox web-browser.  Now, both our phones kind of had intermittent 3/4G signals but we're dipping in and out and were not very good at all.  I was skeptical about the WiFi.

(Yes, that was the force of the rain on the windscreen - couldn't see out!)

I did not need to have been - I have no idea what dark magic is involved (but, I like it!), but that omni-directional thingy and the ability to switch within the SIM to the best provider really works.  We watched 2x40mins YouTube videos, then a 1:45min YouTube video with no buffer, no dip in quality or break in service, we could have been sitting at home with the home broadband.

When I checked the stats. for the download, it worked out 10Mb for 10mins, so we used about 1.5-2GB for that evening.  So I most def. think we'll be going for the 10GB per month option if we're going to be using the motorhome every or every other week - I plan to work "remotely" in the van and do conference calls etc... so will need the throughput.

Rarely am I impressed by something that just does what it was designed to do, but this does the job and does it well - okay, it wasn't "cheap", it was about £485 all fitted (could have been cheaper, but I chose to get the professionals to fit it) I'm confident it'll keep us well connected throughout the UK and when we move over to Europe and start tapping into 5G, it'll come into it's own.

Highly recommend this product if you ever need anything like it!

https://maxview.co.uk/product/motorhome-wifi-caravan-wifi/


 

Comments