IBM z50 joins the fold

 In continuing with my love / obsession with all things technical and laptops / palmtop related, I managed to get my hands on an IBM z50.

"What is that?", I hear you say... well, it is a very rare device that IBM made for 1 year.

...and YES, it can run Linux if you want it to :-)

As it states in the above website : https://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/hardware/ibm/workpad-z50/

This is a bit of an oddity, as it's not really a laptop and it's not really a palmtop and it is not really a PDA, but it runs Windows CE.

Now, I used to write code / apps for Windows CE, back in the early days 2000-2008 for a huge variety of customers and I still have CD-roms full of PDA specific software, I even still have an Embedded C++ for Windows CE cd-rom in a drawer about 4 foot behind me.  Actually, I wonder if I should install that onto my Elonex P1 PC, just for some amusement and write an app or two.

Well, as I say, I managed to acquire one of these devices and it is in REALLY good condition!  Here are some photos of me unboxing it - I was very surprised that it was shipped to me in the ORIGINAL IBM box that it was first shipped with.














Also, yes, it came with a Wifi card, so, I might spend a few hours getting that hooked up so it can join the other devices on the network.


Comments