It's BBS time!

"What the...? Why?.....Really?.... Have you got nothing better to do?"

These are all the types of phrases I've heard from Mrs.IsAGeek all week....well, I am on "vacation" this week, during a Global pandemic, with a Lockdown being placed on us all...so I can't go anywhere...

So, what is a late 40s IT Geek meant to do?.... setup a BBS, of course!



So, fire up your 56k Baud modem, strap yourself in.....and let's go back to the 1990s!



and yes, here is a teaser - I did indeed get it all working (eventually), well, nearly, kind of....



Yep, those are real files available within the BBS....for me to download and use on the IBM PC 110 device.... except that one is precious, I'll wait until I get some of the TFT screens setup on the other devices before I use this too much.  Still, pretty awesome though.  Sigh...I'm such a geek.




UPDATE: I finally got the File Upload / Download from MS-DOS sorted out!  It took a tiny bit of head-scratching, but got there in the end!  Woo!hoo!

Here's the UPLOAD:

and here's the DOWNLOAD:

Why on their own?...well, am having trouble downloading non .TXT files.....hmmmm......

checking through the C source code to see if there is anything that needs to be set/configured to allow for binary downloads versus just plain text?
(btw -as the github states, this is a fork/backup of the original source-code, full credit goes to Mr.Brutman - the man is a genius)

Comments