Rethinking the Mayflower

Sometimes, just sometimes I am impressed.  Today was one of those days.

Why?

Autonomous ship being built in the UK with help from IBM....weren't expecting that were you? :-)

Check it out at all these locations:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50047449

https://www.ibm.com/blogs/think/2019/10/rethinking-the-mayflower/

https://ibmernews.voicestorm.com/member/post/ibm-boards-mayflower-autonomous-ship-project/da123706-8b4e-4647-875e-b7a5ecedf16a

Some of you may or may not know, I originated in Billericay...yep the actual home of the Mayflower, or at least the people who made it, got it down to Heybridge basin, got it to Plymouth and then sailed over to the US and landed there to setup a new life.... okay, my history may not be 100% correct there, maybe just the people came from that region, but I do recall a pub in Billericay that myself and Frank used to frequent, called the 'Mayflower' and it had a pub sign with a ship on it, so that's good enough for me.  So there is my tenuous link to the Mayflower, now checkout some of this information - it might actually help to do good with the planet too...

The vessel will make its own decisions on its course and collision avoidance, and will even make expensive satellite phone calls back to base if it deems it necessary.
The sensor technology guiding its decision-making process includes:
  • Light detecting and ranging (LIDAR)
  • Radio detecting and ranging (RADAR)
  • Global Positioning System (GPS)
  • Satellites
  • Cameras
Data on hundreds of ships has already been collected in Plymouth Sound to feed its machine-learning algorithms.







I look forward to seeing and hearing about the progress.... okay, maybe it is also time for me to kick myself up the backside and start doing something autonomous with one of my cars - I have access to all the same technology..... just need to find the time....


Comments