RPi senseHAT impact recorder for your car

Saw this article this morning and I have to tip my hat (did you see what I did there?!) to the creator/inventor, this is an ingenious idea to use a Raspberry Pi and Sense Hat in a cool way.





Let the accelerometer and gyroscope of your Raspberry Pi Sense HAT measure and record impact sustained in a car collision.


In fact the instructable article goes into a lot more depth, even shares some python code. good stuff.



I'm interested in this article for many reasons...one is I have a senseHAT sitting on a bench at home doing nothing, two, I have an RPi3 sitting on a bench at home doing nothing, three, I have four vehicles that I can use this device within....

okay, I'm not thinking of 'impact recording', but more about gathering telemetry data and associate it with a particular vehicle/driver and store that data so an app can make some predictive analytics about maintenance or suggestions of which vehicle to use depending upon where I'm going and how quickly I need to get there.

Hmmmm....this has inspired me to ignore the day job (for a little while) and actually make something that is kind of related to the day job, but also very useful to just see how my driving style differs between different vehicles and journeys.  I already have the hardware, so let me go design/write the code whilst I'm staying in hotels this week :-)

I'll post my own article once I've built the web app/mobile app/RPi hardware and have tested it out for a month or so, so I have a good amount of data to show that the "AI" (hahaha - more like "ML") code can make some sensible decisions for me.





Comments